Thursday, December 15, 2011

Thursday, December 15, 2011

We just got home from Duke, it took a little over 2 hours to get there.  It was a nice visit, very informative.  We learned that I will need to be at Duke for at least 3+ months, originally told to us as 110 days!  Hopefully, I will be an outpatient for most of the time but they will keep me near by so I won't be able to go home and the worst part is I won't be able to have Buster.  Basically, the transplant will knock out my entire blood system, I'll be getting a brand new immune system which will be attacking my own system.  Any risk of exposure to infections is not allowed.  I'm devastated because I don't want to miss out on any part of Buster's life but I really don't have a choice.  Now we have to figure out what to do with him since he is a puppy and we will not board him.  I'm praying the breeder will work with us and board him because we know they love him and Buster would be familiar with the environment and be around his mother.  So let's all be hopeful that they agree to our idea.  I'll keep you posted on what happens with our baby.

I was thinking this whole deal would take one month, now I hear I will be completely out for three months, to the point where I will need a care giver for twenty four seven care.  I'll be super weak and feel like crap and it will take awhile for my body to recover and for the new immune system to completely take over and adapt to my body.  The whole thing is a slow and day to day process, and it's a big deal not everyone goes through a transplant.

Now, we wait while they test my blood and search the database for a donor match.  They expect to find a match but if they don't they will go an alternative route and use the blood cells from a babies umbilical cord.  Both methods are equally effective.  Either way the transplant will be a long road to recovery but we'll get through it with the help of family and friends.

It will take about two months to get the donor matched and lined up so at least I'll have two months with Buster before I have to go up to Duke.  It will be a huge adjustment for us to basically live in Durham for three months but we'll do what we have to do.

A lot of you have asked how you can sign up to be a bone marrow donor, now I finally know the answer.  All you need to do is call your local Red Cross if they don't have a program for marrow donors they'll know where to find one.  I also learned there are millions of people in the donor database already so finding a match is very likely.  The funny thing is who ever is your match will be a long lost ancestor of mine.  After waiting a year after my transplant I'll be given the option to meet my donor as long as they agree to it.  I think that would be cool.

So all in all it was a good day but I am tired, we left the house at 7:15 which is early for us!  So I hope all of you had a good day!

Love from 6119.

No comments:

Post a Comment