Friday, December 2, 2011

Friday December 2, 2011

Happy Friday everyone!  I am back on my chemo today, I'll have one bag this morning and one tonight.  I thought my off day would be boring but I slept all day and night, I forgot how exhausting chemo can be.  Luckily, I was not sick, my buddy Norm (who is also being treated for Leukemia) was puking all day yesterday, I've been lucky to just have nausea.

We received more information on my bone marrow transplant.  Originally, we thought the transplant would be over Christmas but we learned today that I will have my initial appointment at Duke the week before Christmas.  The initial appointment is to take my blood test and explain the procedure, if Tucker is not a marrow match they will begin the search using the marrow database.  I won't have the actual transplant until 2012.  This means I'll be home to celebrate Buster's first Christmas, which I'm looking forward to.

After I am released Monday, I will go in once a week to have my blood checked to determine if I need blood transfusions or platelets.  Based on my blood counts I may have to have another round of consolidation chemo just to make sure I don't relapse.  Since my genetic mutation makes relapse more common and difficult to treat, Dr. Miller will be aggressive with the chemo treatments.  If I did not need the transplant I would be having chemo once a month for the next 6 months or until my tests consistently come back clean.

That's all I've got for today, I hope you all have a great Friday!  Love from room 4908.

1 comment:

  1. im in the database! i did mouth swabs and sent it in like 4 years ago.... just so i could be a donor! maybe we r a match!? maybe thats why god gave u to me!!!

    ReplyDelete