Friday, April 20, 2012

Day 51

It's Friday, I hope you all have had a good week and have a good weekend lined up.  I'm at Clinic waiting to see if I'll need blood, they were worried yesterday because I was a little low on my counts.  If I don't need blood I'll be here for just an hour, but if I do need blood I'll be here for another 2 hours.  Meanwhile, Robyn is home vacuuming and cleaning the apartment.  I can't be in the apartment when anyone vacuums and I'm not allowed to clean (one of the few limitations I don't mind).  

Robyn has been great, she keeps me very active, we walk 30 minutes a day and it might go up from there.  Another awesome thing is she has been helping me straighten out the medical bills and the insurance.  We came up with a system that should help me and we identified the bills that are actually due and which ones in my pile were duplicates or already paid.  I feel a lot better now, we still owe a lot of money but I'm hoping we can get payment plans set up.  The good news is once we pay we should be done for the year because we have already met our deductible.   

Anyway, enough about insurance.  Yesterday, I made it through a 30 minute walk and insurance billing without a nap.  Unfortunately, I puked after dinner, we thought we had found a medicine combo that works but it didn't last night.  We'll see what the nurses say today, I don't see a doctor today since I saw mine yesterday.  

Eric is coming home from Greenville today, it will be good to have him home.  Thanks to Robyn he'll have a clean apartment to come home to, which I know he'll appreciate.  Even though it's only been since Wednesday, I still miss him, he's my best friend and other half.  

I'm feeling good minus my issues with nausea and puking.  I'm hoping that will begin to fade away.  I know I'm getting stronger which feels good.  Two days ago I met another transplant patient about my age.  He was on day 83 and getting ready to go home.  It was so weird to hear the words "day 83" and "going home".  I told him I have Dr. Howritz, he then told me Howritz is good about sending people home once they are in their mid 80s, so let's hope this holds true.  

I'm trying to choke down my nasty liquid medicine, following about 6 pills, making my total for this morning: 8 pills & 5 ML of liquid nastiness.  I swear just taking the medicines can make you sick.  They tell me to take the liquid with fatty foods or ginger ale.  I don't like ginger ale so I'm constantly searching for fatty foods I can eat with the liquid.  This way the drug will absorb better in my body. Whatever they tell me to make it work best, I'll do, I want my lungs back to normal and I'm ready to be pulled off these drugs.  If I didn't have the daily IV, I could have a day off from clinic!  

In random news, we have learned that the maintenance men at the apartment are very nice and efficient.  We had a broken toilet, broken remote and parental controls on our cable.  Robyn and I walked up to the clubhouse to tell them all of this and to my surprise they jumped on it.  I didn't have to fill out any request forms or anything.  Not even 5 minutes after we got back to the apartment the maintenance guys knocked on our door!  The cable guy would come later but here they came two nice brothers who were very respectful, they took off their shoes, washed their hands and didn't come near me (infection/germ reasons).  When we realized our door wasn't staying closed and we needed our air filters to be changed they completed those tasks just like that.  We were impressed and expressed our happiness over their work.  Now they help us any time and say hello when we are on our walk.

I guess that's it for today.  I'm happy to be feeling good and strong, I'm not back to normal yet but I'm getting there, slowly but surely.  Thanks for all your love and support, I know it's been a while since we first started this blog, if you are still reading and keeping up with us, thank you.  It makes me feel very loved and supported.   Sometimes it takes the hard times to realize how wonderful life is, even with the hard times.  Peace out from the Duke Adult Bone Marrow Clinic!




No comments:

Post a Comment