Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Wednesday November 23, 2011

I have just returned from my first post hospital visit with Dr. Miller.  I had another bone marrow biopsy and they checked my blood counts.  While they did not see Leukemia in my blood, the results from my genetic testing show I have a genetic mutation that greatly increases my risk for relapse.  Due to this mutation, I will need to have a bone marrow transplant.  My brother Tucker was tested as a donor while he was here, unfortunately, the hospital lost his blood test.  So he will have to be retested at his own doctor in Wichita.  Hopefully, he will be a match as it's much better to accept the marrow from a sibling.

This genetic mutation is called a FLT3, without a bone marrow transplant the chance of my recovery from a relapse would be much more difficult.  As Dr. Miller said this isn't a set back, it doesn't change my prognosis, it's just disappointing and means the fight will be harder to reach a cure.  I will check back into the hospital a week from today for my first round of reduction chemo which will last five days.  If I did not have the FLT3 mutation, this would be my first step towards remission.  Dr. Miller will work on setting up my bone marrow transplant and my second round of reduction chemo.  Hopefully, we will get all this done before Christmas.

This wasn't the news we were hoping to hear today but we will continue to think positive and I know I'll be able to make it through this new challenge.  I hate to leave a disappointing post the day before Thanksgiving, but I'm still thankful for the progress I have made in fighting this cancer.  Each day is a gift and I intend on enjoying the next 7 days to the fullest before checking back into the hospital.  The good thing is I know all the nurses and they take good care of me, I've already asked for my old room but it's occupied, at least this time I won't be in as long.   In closing, today Eric will shave my head, I'm tired of leaving a trail of hair every where I go.  We will post pictures later today.

Love to you all from 6119.

No comments:

Post a Comment